English Summer School
Junior Summer School
Aged 13-17July and August
'English conversation classes in the morning or afternoon, and a fully inclusive programme of sports, social activities and excursions every day, Monday to Friday. And with a full day activity on the Saturday, you will not have time to be bored!'
At Mountlands Summer School, we focus on English conversational classes and encourage our students to speak English in class. You will spend 3 lessons of 55 minutes having English conversation classes in the morning or afternoon (our lessons and activities are zig-zagged during July and August - so you will have one week of morning lessons, and one week of afternoon lessons during your stay with us). We believe that the more fun we make the classes, the more you will learn! So do not worry about being bored in lessons - we balance all classes with a good mix of grammar and games, to encourage even the shyest students to speak.
For the rest of the day, there is a local based activity, such as mini golf, beach games, go karting or bowling. Every Saturday, we offer a full day excursion to a local attraction. Many students enjoy visiting Dartmoor, or the historical towns of Plymouth and Totnes. Twice a week we offer an evening activity - skittles, karaoke, disco... A time to meet up with other students, relax, and chat about the week's events!
Your lessons will usually be held in the main school building - 8 Rolle Street. Sometimes during high season we also use alternative classrooms nearby the school.
Students are placed by age and ability to a maximum of 15 in each class. A careful balance of activities is designed to increase the students' grammar and vocabulary and improve their skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking. Each day, from Monday to Friday, you will receive 3 lessons of 55 minutes tuition, a total of 15 lessons per week. You will be tested on arrival and placed in the class appropriate for your level of English.
The levels can vary, but are usually elementary, intermediate, and upper intermediate. You will be placed in the correct class for you, following an online placement test which will be sent to you before you arrive.
In low season, when we do not have a full class, you may be in a mixed ability group - however, please be assured that our teachers are fully experienced in dealing with mixed ability groups.
Our Summer School programme for teenagers is designed to challenge and motivate students to develop their English language skills in a creative environment.
The Mountlands Summer School programme is project-based and adopts an integrated skills-based approach. Each week students will study a different module and each module follows a separate theme. This ensures that whether a student is atMountlands for 1, 2,3,4,5 or 6 weeks, they will follow self contained modules. This means nobody misses any work as the topics covered in previous weeks do not relate directly to the topics covered in subsequent modules. There is no core textbook and there is no prescribed grammar syllabus. Instead, any structural focus centers on the language generated or required by the students in the course of completing the assigned tasks. We do suggest that you bring with you your own vocabulary books
- Use pair and group work to maximise the opportunity to speak and games, role-play, and video to make the lessons varied and fun
- Do out-of-class projects. These extend and practice English outside class and increase the students' awareness and appreciation of the world around them
- Learn grammar 'under the radar'. You won't learn long lists of grammar rules (and exceptions!) instead, the grammar will form a natural part of the learning process.
- Have pronunciation activities integrated into the lesson
All students get a Mountlands Summer School Certificate at the end of the course.
Here is an example of the choice of fun sports and social activities you will receive at Mountlands:
- Beach games - our Activities Leader will set up some fun games for you to get involved in.
- Crazy Golf - challenge your friends to a game of Crazy Golf down on the seafront.
- Evening - 8-9pm - Salsa lessons
- Sports Session - An opportunity to play football, basketball, badminton and ping pong, or if you fancy a swim, bring your swimming kit!
- Fishing trip
- Evening - 7.30-9.30pm - Disco
- Train ride to Exeter - a tour of this historic city and a chance to shop!
- Full Day Trip to Dartmoor and Plymouth
- Free Day to spend with your homestay family or your new friends!
- 2 week Summer School Course - £580
- includes all lessons and activities
- Accommodation in host family - £130 per week in a shared room (£27 per week single room supplement available)
- Includes bed, breakfast, packed lunch, evening meal